Job Title: Solicitor or Legal Executive
Department: Private Client / Court of Protection
Position: Full Time
Location: All offices
WBW Solicitors is one of the largest legal practices in the South West, with offices based in Torquay, Paignton, Newton Abbot, Exeter, Bovey Tracey, Exmouth, Honiton, Sidmouth, Launceston, Axminster, Chard and Seaton. With clearly defined divisions catering for business and private clients, our teams are able to offer the very best legal advice through a full range of legal services, across a wide range of areas and commercial sectors. We reward our hard-working staff with flexibility, competitive salaries with a generous holiday plan and a fantastic benefits package.
This role would be suitable for a candidate who can demonstrate good experience and have a real interest in Court of Protection work.
The successful candidate would need to be able to work independently with minimal supervision and want to contribute to the team and its development.
Work would include:
- Preparation of COP applications to include Deputy applications and ancillary applications such as applications relating to Statutory Wills and gifts etc. and experience of representations at Court;
- Planning, organisation and monitoring of general management of financial affairs, household (to include payroll of care staff) and other expenditure to include being able to budget and manage financial schedules etc.;
- Preparation of annual Deputy Reports to the OPG, dealing with Costs Draftsman and the Senior Court Costs Office in relation to billing to include e-billing;
- Dealing directly with and advising elderly, disabled and vulnerable individuals in the everyday execution of their financial and personal affairs;
- Acting in the protection of those clients from abuse, coercion and exploitation;
- Dealing with and advising the family of our clients, lay Attorneys and lay Deputies;
- Working with Case Managers, Managers of Care/Residential/Nursing Homes and other professionals/experts;
- Advising on challenges to Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) (soon to be Liberty Protection Safeguards (LPS) authorisations and working with representatives such as IMCAs;
- Having an awareness of and being able to identify potential tax issues for referral to our dedicated Tax Department;
- Having an awareness of and being able to identify care funding needs, deliberate deprivation of assets, and benefit issues for referral to our dedicated benefit experts and Community Care Department;
- Having experience of dealing with the sale, purchase and adaption of properties through the COP to meet the Patient’s needs and requirements;
- Being knowledgeable in and able to advise on the Mental Capacity Act and other related rules, regulations and legislation such as the Care Act.
To provide an efficient, effective and complete legal service ensuring client satisfaction at all times; seeking support and advice from other members of the team whenever necessary.
Skill and Knowledge
A 3+ year PQE level as a Solicitor / Legal Executive / CILEx is essential. ACTAPS and/or STEP membership welcomed but not essential.
Ability to manage and prioritise a busy case load, have excellent client care skills together with an affinity with dealing the elderly, disabled and vulnerable persons and enjoy helping those people manage their finances and their lives for the better.
The successful candidate will also be expected to promote and develop the firm and the team internally and externally maintaining its reputation.
To make sure that quality standards are understood and adhered to at all times. To promote a high quality of service and to maintain file administration, carry out reviews as directed and comply with the firm’s quality standards policies and procedures outlined in the firm’s Practice Manual. To adhere to the firm’s Equality and Diversity Policy at all times.
To achieve any billing, time and fee earning targets set; to co-operate with the firm’s credit control arrangements; to manage time effectively and ensure billing is carried out regularly. Ensure recommendations and cross-referrals occur to other departments and personnel within the firm.
The successful applicant must be able to work effectively within a team. Task assignment amongst the team is constant to ensure the matter is undertaken in the most cost effective manner possible.
The successful candidate must be professional, organised, competent, enthusiastic and ambitious. To work with other fee earners and seek advice and assistance whenever needed to develop knowledge and skills, and to improve ability. Ensure that all courses booked are attended including any management courses provided to develop personal skills.
Need to have access to a motor vehicle for work use and be insured for work purposes. WBW have offices in Torquay, Paignton, Newton Abbot, Exeter, Bovey Tracey, Launceston, Exmouth, Sidmouth & Honiton and the successful candidate must be able to travel to these offices independently as and when required.
For further information regarding this role, or to apply, please send your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com.