Each year in the UK more than 130 people are killed and 26,000 are left injured in collisions caused by uninsured and untraced drivers, linking to nearly one in every five road traffic collisions, according to the Motor Insurers’ Bureau statistics.

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau is a body funded by the insurance industry which was set up to compensate people involved in incidents involving uninsured and untraced drivers. If, therefore, you are hurt in a road traffic accident involving an uninsured  driver, you can still make a compensation claim through this body under the Uninsured Drivers Agreement.

Therese Classon, a Partner in the Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence department at WBW Solicitors in Newton Abbot, explains how to make a claim for personal injuries compensation from the Motor Insurers’ Bureau.

What should you do if you are injured in an accident with an uninsured driver?

  • Take a note of the driver’s name and address, as well as the colour, make, model and registration number of the vehicle they were driving. If the driver claims they were driving a company car, take down the name of the employer.
  • Ask for the name, number and address of the any potential witnesses so you can take witness statements off them later if required.
  • Take photographs of the scene of the accident.
  • Report the incident to the police within 14 days and obtain a police log or reference number from them.
  • If you are hurt, seek immediate medical attention and obtain a report. Ensure you go to all follow up appointments and keep a note of your costs and expenses.
  • If you have comprehensive insurance cover you need to claim for any damage to your vehicle from your own insurer, as since August 2015 the Motor Insurers’ Bureau will only consider vehicle damage claims if you do not have comprehensive insurance. You can, however, claim for any personal injury you have suffered and other losses and expenses such as loss of earnings, purchase of painkillers and treatment costs.

How a solicitor can help

Motor Insurers’ Bureau claims can be complex, so it is vital to seek expert legal advice. WBW has a dedicated team of personal injury lawyers who are experienced in handling both uninsured and untraced driver claims.

We offer no win, no fee agreements, so your concerns about costs should not prevent you from bringing a claim.

One of our specialist personal injury lawyers can help you fill out the Motor Insurers’ Bureau claim form and gather all the evidence you need to support your claim, such as independent medical reports and witness statements.

We will then try and reach a settlement with the Motor Insurers’ Bureau, striving to win you the compensation you deserve.

How much compensation will I receive?

The amount of compensation you receive will depend on the seriousness of your injury, your long-term prognosis, and how it has affected your life, but could include damages for:

  • pain and suffering, psychological or physical;
  • loss of earnings;
  • additional medical treatment or rehabilitation;
  • out-of-pocket expenses; and
  • adaptations required for your home or vehicle.

For more information on claiming compensation from the Motor Insurers’ Bureau if you are hurt by an uninsured driver, or any other personal injury issue, contact Therese Classon, a Partner at WBW Solicitors in Newton Abbot on 01626 202328 or email thereseclasson@wbw.co.uk.

This article is for general information only and does not constitute legal or professional advice. Please note that the law may have changed since this article was published.