Future Financial Arrangements

At WBW, whether married, living together or in a civil partnership, we understand that if you are considering a separation a major concern may be what the financial outcome of your separation will be.

Often there are worries about the family home and whether you will be able to remain there, the effect upon children’s schooling and the amount of money you will have to live on; as well as how those changes can take place with as much certainty and as little disruption as possible.

At WBW we have a number of experienced practitioners who can assist you with all of those issues and offer practical assistance and secure relevant information about tax or other implications connected with your changing circumstances. 

We will be able to explain to you the law which is relevant to your circumstances, the options available to you, both practical and legal and explain the steps that you need to take to achieve that outcome.

Additional Information


Will I be able to keep the house?

This is one of the most common concerns for parties going through relationship breakdown. Housing is the priority for any Court, particularly the housing of children and the parent caring for any dependant children most of the time. One of the first steps will be see whether financially that can be achieved but if there is insufficient income, taking into account the combined resources of both parents, then the family home may have to be sold.

Jointly owned properties – can I stop him/her from entering the house?

Whilst property is jointly owned, generally speaking both parties are entitled to live there and so can enter and retain a key unless there is a Court Order (Injunction) in place determining who should live in the property and who can have access to it. Generally, it is not usually possible to stop one party entering the house.

It is also inadvisable to change the locks as if the locks are changed, it will be necessary to offer the other party a key. However, it is often the case that we can assist in negotiations so that only one person resides in the property during the difficult period surrounding relationship breakdown to allow the person living there some privacy.