Whilst property is jointly owned, generally speaking both parties are entitled to live there and so can enter and retain a key unless there is a Court Order (Injunction) in place determining who should live in the property and who can have access to it. Generally, it is not usually possible to stop one party entering the house.

It is also inadvisable to change the locks as if the locks are changed, it will be necessary to offer the other party a key. However, it is often the case that we can assist in negotiations so that only one person resides in the property during the difficult period surrounding relationship breakdown to allow the person living there some privacy.