The general rule is no, unless you have the other parent’s permission. In most cases both parents have what is known as Parental Responsibility and both should be involved in important decisions about their child. If one parent does not hold Parental Responsibility, it is possible to allow a child to be known by another name without the consent of the other parent but the other parent still has a right to ask the court to stop you changing the child’s name. Generally the Court are reluctant to agree to a change of name. The Court consider that the name is a link with the parent with whom they do not live and often insist that there is no change, sometimes when the child wants to change.