Construction is a notoriously dangerous industry with Health and Safety Executive figures revealing that those working in this sector are more than four times as likely to be killed and 50 per cent more likely to suffer a non-fatal injury than the all-industry rates.

Construction accident injuries can crop up in a variety of ways, but one of the most common causes are those involving the many vehicles used on a construction site.

Therese Classon, Partner in the Personal Injury department at WBW Solicitors in Newton Abbot, explains how you might go about claiming compensation if you are injured by a vehicle due to someone else’s negligence while working on a construction site.

Bulldozers, front loaders, dump trucks, backhoes, excavators, skip lorries, delivery trucks and cranes are all regular features on a construction site, and all have the potential to cause construction workers injury if they are not used carefully and correctly.

Accidents can occur if construction vehicle drivers cannot see fellow workers properly, if they are not properly trained to operate the vehicle, if the vehicle is not properly maintained and suffers a fault which causes a crash, if areas where dangerous heavy vehicles are not adequately blocked off, or fellow workers are not equipped with the right safety gear.

All those in charge of a construction site have a duty under health and safety laws – most notably the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 – to ensure that it is made and kept safe for, and without risks to, the health of anyone who works there.

They need to ensure that everyone working on the site is properly trained and provided with adequate equipment to safely carry out their jobs. All the machinery used on the site must be regularly checked and maintained in good working order and they must carry out regular risk assessments and put measures in place to keep you as safe as possible at work.

If they fail in this legal duty and you are injured as a result you will be entitled to claim compensation. Even if you are a casual worker or self-employed, you might still have the same rights as other workers under UK health and safety law.

How a solicitor can help

If you have been injured by a vehicle while working on a construction site, you should get in touch with a specialist personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.

They will be able to quickly let you know if you have a valid claim and, if you have, help you gather the evidence you need, such as medical reports and witness statements, to strengthen your case. They will also refer you to a medical expert who will assess the cause of your injuries and how they have affected your life.

The compensation you receive will depend on the extent of your injuries and how long your recovery is likely to take, but could include damages for:

  • pain and suffering;
  • loss of earnings;
  • additional medical treatment or rehabilitation;
  • out-of-pocket expenses; and
  • adaptations required to your home.

For further information, please contact Therese Classon in the Personal Injury department on 01626 202328 or email  WBW Solicitors has nine offices across the South West in Newton Abbot, Bovey Tracey, Torquay, Paignton, Exeter, Launceston, Exmouth, Sidmouth and Honiton.

This article is for general information only and does not constitute legal or professional advice. Please note that the law may have changed since this article was published.