Agricultural injuries were one of the biggest cause of work-related fatalities in the South West last year – accounting for nearly one-fifth of all farm worker deaths in Britain according to the Health & Safety Executive’s annual fatal injury statistics.

Given the vast array of heavy and powerful tools and machines farm workers need to use for cutting, trimming, ploughing, boring, and crushing on a daily basis, it is inevitable that malfunctions and accidents will happen and somebody will get hurt.

Therese Classon, personal injury solicitor at WBW Solicitors, explains how to go about claiming compensation if you have been involved in a farming accident involving heavy objects and equipment.

Employer’s duty

Employers have a duty to ensure that as far as possible, you are properly trained to undertake required tasks, that the equipment you use is kept in good condition and carries warning signs, and that safety equipment is provided. If the employer fails in this duty in any way and you sustain an injury as a result, you may be entitled to compensation.

Types of injury

A wide variety of injuries can be caused by working with heavy objects or equipment, such as head injuries caused by falling heavy objects; fractures, soft tissue injuries or even loss of limbs caused by malfunctioning or unsecured equipment, inadequate safety gear or over-turning tractors; or muscle tears, back trauma or dislocations caused by hoisting too-heavy loads.

Claiming compensation

If you have been injured in an agricultural accident, consult a solicitor as soon as your injury becomes apparent as there are strict time limits for bringing a personal injury claim. If a relative has been killed in a farming accident, a claim can be made by the deceased’s estate to provide for family and dependants.

A specialist personal injury lawyer can help collate the evidence you need to strengthen your claim and ensure you get the medical care you need. They may also be able to get you an interim payment to ease the financial burden of being off work due to your injuries or to pay for private medical care.

The compensation you may be entitled to includes damages for pain, suffering and loss of amenity; loss of earnings; medical expenses; physiotherapy and rehabilitation and travel expenses to hospital. You might also be able to claim for continuing care, loss of future salary and pension, and alterations to your home depending on the severity of your injury.

For further information, please contact Therese Classon in the personal injury team on 01626 202328 or email  WBW Solicitors has nine offices across Devon and Cornwall.

This article is for general information only and does not constitute legal or professional advice. Please note that the law may have changed since this article was published.