Guidance and auditing on investment matters for Trustees
We provide clear and concise guidance on investment matters and an audit trail to evidence that trustees have fulfilled their duties in relation to the investment trust funds under the Trustee Act 2000 and common law.
We offer two services:
- A detailed review process which considers trust law, taxation and investment objectives and results in a comprehensive report, which lays out our recommendations for an investment strategy, including the use of tax wrappers and specialist investment managers as appropriate. This approach may generally be appropriate for complex, higher value or new trusts.
- A relatively simple, fixed fee initial investment review service, which is designed to enable trustees of more simple or lower value trusts to meet their obligations in relation to investment matters. The result of this review will be a certificate to verify either that the current investments are generally appropriate, or that they are not. In the latter event we will offer a fixed fee quotation to conduct a detailed review as above. If required, we are also able to provide a fully comprehensive range of Trust Accounting, Tax Planning and Tax Reporting Services through Albert Goodman Chartered Accountants.
Frequently Asked Questions
Approach to financial services for Trustees? »
We are particularly mindful of the duty of care owed by trustees and our aim is to enable trustees to fulfill that duty in relation to investment matters in a professional and cost effective way. Our recommendations are designed to assure trustees that they have met, and can demonstrate they have met, their duties and responsibilitIes in relation to investment matters. We will design an investment strategy which will take account of tax efficiency and the trustees’ objectives. This sets the context for the selection and management of appropriate investments. We offer our clients our own advisory investment management services but we are also happy to work alongside discretionary investment managers. In the latter case we are happy to work alongside either the clients preferred manager or one we have selected from our preferred list. We retain an active role in the process. In either case we retain responsibility for the overall strategy to ensure that the portfolio continues to be appropriate in the light of the trustees’ objectives, any changes to tax legislation and the foreseeable economic outlook. We also monitor and report investment performance against pre-agreed benchmarks and any other parameters agreed with the trustees. This approach can combine our specialist financial planning services with the benefits of professional investment management and institutional purchasing power.
The result provides our clients with a tax and cost efficient portfolio, which is tailored to their specific circumstances and regularly monitored and adjusted as appropriate.Hide this answer
Specialist qualifications held relevant to financial planning for trustees? »
Our team of specialists hold a number of relevant professional qualifications, including: Chartered Financial Planner
- Certified Financial Planner
- Chartered Tax Adviser
- Member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- Investment Management Certificate
- Chartered Accountant / Chartered Certified Accountant
IHT – Prepare to Have Valuations Queried04/07/2011
The potential for reducing Inheritance Tax (IHT) bills by placing ‘soft’ valuations on assets is all too clear and has led HM Revenue and Customs more »
Meeting Long-Term Care Costs04/07/2011
One of the often forgotten issues in retirement planning is the possibility of having to fund long-term care at some future time. Such care is more »